-
November 14th, 2001, 02:28 PM
#1
Ralph Snart
Guest
I am not complaining, however I do not spent time on this board for lack of anything better to do.
I have attempted to answer a number of questions to the best of my experience. and have noticed that after my answer the conversation seems to stop.
Additionally when I ask a question, I never seem to get a response.
I know I have made a lot of jokes and outlandish statements but for the most part, I was hoping this board would be an interactive learning experience and I take it seriously.
Any way I was just wondering why I never seem to get even an opinion about the questions I have asked?
------------------
-
November 14th, 2001, 02:31 PM
#2
Inactive Member
your being to hard of yourself ralph,
------------------
www.5ylac.s5.com
-
November 14th, 2001, 02:43 PM
#3
eddie
Guest
Although I come here day to day whilst at work, I cant often be arsed to try and translate your posts into english. Thats my failing rather than yours, because from what I can understand they are pretty entertaining.
Oh, and the other thing is I dont know any of the answers. :-)
------------------
-
November 14th, 2001, 03:07 PM
#4
Ralph Snart
Guest
Thank you and Thank you.
My problem is that I am, in my real life, doing the work of about 12 people.
Without exegeration.
The driving force behind any of this is; is it entertaining.
and I am loosing my perspective.
I have wasted so much time trying to get other people (I know in person) interested and employed that it is pathetic.
The average interest level is about 24 hours and all it does is set me back, because I am constantly picking up the pieces.
The problem is that most of the people are not doing anything constructive as far as employment anyway.
I have been in and around small businesses since I was 18 and I know a marketing nich when I see one.
But I can not get any freaking help.
Thanks for listening
------------------
-
November 14th, 2001, 03:24 PM
#5
Inactive Member
its lonely at the top, if you want a friend then get a dog !
sometimes i find it hard to focus on other people and sometimes it is frusfilmmaking when the 9-5 gets hectic , october was a dreadful month in that aspect, but getting my mind back into frame now.
------------------
www.5ylac.s5.com
-
November 14th, 2001, 07:46 PM
#6
Ralph Snart
Guest
Glad to hear things are going better.
What you said however is my problem.
I am getting no real feedback on the type of films I make.
My only gauge is the reaction of the people I watch watching my material.
I try to keep a low profile.
They seem mesmerized. It is kind of scary.
Perhaps I am just expecting too much too fast.
I see so much yet it is like just out of my grasp.
Very frustraiting!
------------------
-
November 14th, 2001, 09:17 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Hi,
Filmmaking is an art and you have to become film literate, you have to learn many things about making films and videos.
Most production house has a different person for each separate part of the film making process.
It is easy for individual to be good at one or two things, but this is usually not enough, you have to have strong knowledge in most of the film producing departments.
Any production has to begin with a good idea, whatever type of film/video you are producing.
Make something you are interested in and that you feel will interest others.
But do not bite of more than you can chew, leave the Hollywood stuff to Hollywood as one can compete with Hollywood at there own game, it's just impossible. The budgets these people have are no less than incredible and they sometimes get it wrong.
Your friend's and the public are very experienced viewers of cinema and television. You are possibly a very inexperienced programme maker, so for starters you have to reach the standard your educated viewers have come to expect from their many days of watching to much TV.
Am I hitting any targets here and type of material are you trying to produce anyway?
Jim Bird.
[This message has been edited by Jim Bird (edited November 14, 2001).]
-
November 15th, 2001, 01:22 AM
#8
Ralph Snart
Guest
Yes and no Jim.
The last thing on my list of things to to is go Hollywoodland.
But you have restated my primary problem, in that even in a short production there are a dozen specialities.
The basic skills are not (in my humble opinion) the problem.
From the outside looking in, if someone asks me a question I can answer it or find the answer no problem.
On just about any level and if I am wrong no problem.
What is a problem is the fact that the individuals I have been trying to recruit get all interested for about a day, then whatever.
The one person who has actually helped did so by saying "It looks like you are on to something, but I am to busy to help at this time."
Thank God, now I do not have to spend two days telling you what it has taken me a year to learn about computer editing and 10 years to learn about filmmaking only to have you flake out at the exact moment I can leave you on your own and go do something else that needs to be done.
I am not telling people what to create only how to create it.
It is hard to explain, but I startrd with an overall strategy and my goal was just to earn a decent living making movies as a small homebased business.
I know makeup, cinamatography, set design, have learned music, can hold my own in conversations with anyone from HP to IBM, have developed a marketing and distribution network.
This makes me sound like an idiot in the woods, yelling about how I am gods gift to film.
But the truth is, I can with reasonable competence do it all.
I am so proud of me I could freaking scream!
Actually I only have two complaints.
People who sound interested enough for me to invest my time in them and then waste mine.
and the
DAMN Software companies.
Six times out of ten over the last year my problem has been one or two specific questions that I can not get or find a specific answer to.
For example (as long as I am ranting)
I was told that I did not have a video port and would have to go USB.
I had a video port.
On another computer I was told that I wouldn't be able to run two video cards.
I am running two video cards.
I was informed by a factory rep that if I followed steps A then B then C it would solve my problem and that I was wrong about what I was sitting there looking at.
Sitting there looking at something on the damn screen that this person is telling me can not be right!
So three hours later.
A,B,C
A,B,C
I am not their freaking beta tester!
So, and as far as what sort of movies I make I really can not say, because I never know until the next idea hits me.
THANKS
------------------
-
November 15th, 2001, 06:23 AM
#9
Senior Hostboard Member
learn this:
pre-sales service: amazing, the best, you couldn't want more ...
post-sales: shit
anyway, I certainly empathise with your feeling that you *can* make films with the best of 'em, yet certain enabling components of the overall process are still missing.
my problem is, I am not a blagger. I'm too damned honest. I find it really hard to sell myself, not because I am not enthusiastic about my projects, but because I would rather get somewhere through merit because in the long run that will be more sustainable. And I don't take hard drugs to stay awake. All this clean living ... it just looks so dull to the kids.
------------------
N305UDB M173UBM
(B55VOR)
(WGO963W)
-
November 15th, 2001, 03:13 PM
#10
Ralph Snart
Guest
Agreed.
But what do you mean by selling yourself?
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks